Volunteer: Connect and Contribute to Your Community
BFO Ottawa is powered by a vibrant community of dedicated volunteers who give their time, energy and skills in hundreds of different ways to inspire hope and support transformation. Over 100 volunteers give an average of 6,000 hours/year and are the heart of BFO Ottawa.
Why do so many people choose BFO Ottawa to share their time and talents?
“I commonly hear from parents that ‘nobody else understands what I’m going through except another parent who has lost a child. Not even my family or best friend gets what I’m going through.’ There is a tremendous satisfaction in helping others through a very dark time in their life. I feel grateful I am able to do this.”
“Volunteering has allowed me to gain experience and knowledge working in communications. It also helped me to grow as a person and get to know myself and my aspirations better.” Communications Volunteer
Opportunities to Give:
- Serve on the Newsletter Team: Contribute to the creation and distribution of our quarterly newsletter and generate ideas for the theme, content, layout and design
- Facilitate a support group: Find out about grief and peer facilitation training (PDF)
- Become a Board member
- Special Events Committees: These positions include a wide range of roles to support the coordination and implementation of our annual events such as the Tree of Life, the Butterfly Release and Walk to Remember, the Volunteer Appreciation gathering and our Report to the Community.
- Office & Program Support: Various positions to support programs and services from behind the scenes. Possibilities include: photocopying materials for programs and education and training events, data entry, compiling evaluation forms, managing our lending library, and setting up program spaces
- Communication: Skills in media relations, graphic design, and other marketing and social media
- Outreach: Help to spread the words about BFO Ottawa programs and services.